Sunday, June 23, 2013

Book Review: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Point of Retreat
By Colleen Hoover
Release Date: February 25, 2013
Source: Own Copy
Summary: Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart. 

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’


Review: I have been on a New Adult kick lately, so it only made sense to pick up the second book to the Slammed series by Colleen Hoover. I read Slammed last summer and absolutely loved it, and needless to say I was really looking forward to see what would happen next between Will and Lake!

Will and Lake are FINALLY together after being put through so many trials, and things couldn't be more perfect. But when an ex from Will's past shows up, Lake starts to question why Will loves her in the first place. Is it because of her, or because of how similar they're situations are? Will has no idea what to do or how to win Lake's trust back. How can he prove to her that he loves every single thing about her, no matter who or what stands in their way? 

The first thing that struck me when reading this book was that it was told from Will's point of view. While it was really nice seeing things from his perspective, I almost wish they alternated between the two because I was dying to know what was going on in Lake's mind half the time. Because we only got Will's view on things, Lake seemed a little too insecure over things that weren't that big of a deal in my eyes. 

When looking at the other parts of the story, though, I absolutely loved all of the other characters. Kiersten is so fun and I loved how an 11-year-old can have such a prominent part in their lives. Caulder and Kel are awesome too and their relationships with their older siblings is so strong. It was so adorable how they kept on getting into trouble but Will and Lake had no idea how to scold them because they thought their pranks were funny too. 

Colleen Hoover has a way of thinking up really cute details for her books, which I absolutely love about her writing. For this one, it was the jar of stars, Lake's ugly shirt, and all of the butterflying butterflies. How does she come up with such random objects/things and make them into the cutest moments ever? I've got to tell you, Colleen Hoover sure knows how to write a romance that is sure to win over any girls heart. 

Overall, I think this book was pretty good but definitely not the best from Colleen Hoover. Some parts moved pretty slowly and sometimes it seemed like your typical get-jealous-and-insecure-because-of-the-ex-girlfriend kind of story. But about 2/3 of the way through things are completely thrown off track and finally gets interesting again. If you're a fan of New Adult and Colleen Hoover, I'd definitely recommend reading this one eventually, but I'd start with either Slammed or Hopeless first. Those two are New Adult books that are beyond amazing, while this one was simply an enjoyable read.



1 comment:

  1. lol. Slammed suckered me in, so this could have been written in Arabic and I still would have loved it! This Girl is sitting on my digital 'tbr' shelf for a week when I NEED it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...