Thursday, June 20, 2013

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault In Our Stars
By John Green
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Source: Own Copy
Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Review: I have heard so many amazing things about this book and John Green in general that it's about time I picked it up. Can you believe this was my first time reading a John Green book? Yeah, me either. So I had way huge expectations going in and I was ready to have my mind blown. 

Hazel has been ready to die for years from her terminal cancer, but for some reason she was not meant to go just yet. Going through life as the girl with cancer, Hazel is used to being that girl. But when she meets Augustus Waters at her cancer support group, everything she's ever known about life and herself changes. This gorgeous, quirky guy teaches Hazel exactly what it means to live and love, helping her discover life before their time runs out. 

I'm normally not a fan of serious books, especially ones about people dying of cancer. But John Green has a way of making his characters so quirky and amazing that it's okay to be reading a sad book because you don't really realize it's sad until the extremely sad parts happen. Does that make sense? Well, I really liked Hazel's character and how she was so not what you'd expect a terminally ill cancer patient would act. And Augustus. Oh Augustus. I absolutely loved his character and how mature and fun he was. Why can't I meet someone like him who is so not like every other guy in this world? He knows exactly what to say to make Hazel smile and isn't afraid to let her know exactly how he feels. 

While I really loved the characters and wasn't at all bothered about the seriousness of this book, it just didn't get me emotionally like I knew it should have. I know people who cried their eyes out when reading this one, but I was just content when I finished. I guess I should have read this at a time where I could really focus and get into the story instead of reading it all in one sitting where I was forcing myself to stay awake to finish it at the end. But unfortunately I didn't and I think that took away from the emotional impact this book supposedly has on a lot of its readers. So that's why I'm giving this one four stars instead of the five. The emotional reaction I knew I was supposed to have just didn't happen.

Don't get me wrong, this book was really good and I'm definitely going to be picking up more John Green books in the future. He knows how to make intriguing, witty characters who are unlike anyone else I've ever read about, the emotional side of the story just didn't click. The whole story with Hazel's favorite book though, was really unique and it was cool to see how that all unfolded and really taught them a lesson about life. There are so many quotable and lovable moments in this book and I'd definitely recommend it to everyone who has or has not read John Green before. The Fault In Our Stars has a powerful message with special characters that will forever live in your heart, long after you've read the last page.



1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too - will definitely be reading more of his books :)
    Just started following your blog, I absolutely love it! :)
    Feel free to have a look at mine:
    www.aplaceonthebookshelf.blogspot.com

    Charl x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...