Tuesday, April 24, 2012

World Book Night 2012


I was so fortunate to be able to participate in World Book Night on Monday, April 23rd! It was so much fun, so I'd thought I'd share with you all about my experience! 

What's World Book Night? 

Well, according to their website, "World Book Night is an annual celebration designed to spread a love of reading and books. To be held in the U.S. as well as the U.K. and Ireland on April 23, 2012. It will see tens of thousands of people go out into their communities to spread the joy and love of reading by giving out free World Book Night paperbacks."

The book I got to give out was Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson! 

Summary: “Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.
I am that girl.
I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.


Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her step-mother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way—thin, thinner, thinnest—maybe she'll disappear altogether.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the National Book Award finalist Speak, best-selling author Laurie Halse Anderson explores one girl's chilling descent into the all-consuming vortex of anorexia.



So I picked up my giver box of 20 copies of Wintergirls on Friday and was all set to give them away on Monday! I went to Kroger first with a friend of mine who also signed up as a giver! She ended up giving away copies of The History Of Love by Nicole Krauss. We were both so excited to start giving them away that we were completely shocked when the first few people we asked didn't want a copy. Who would ever refuse a free book?!?!?!? 

So we went through the entire grocery store three times and only got rid of about half of our books. Defeated, we walked back towards our dorms trying to decide what to do next. We ended up handing them out to girls in our dorm until we got rid of all of them. The girls in the dorm seemed super excited when I handed them the books, so I'd say the night ended on a high note! 

Overall, the night started off rocky, but it was fun in the end! It was nice knowing that I was a part of something so inspiring and awesome! I love reading, so it was so much fun being able to share my love with others and encourage them to read too! You can check out the list of the 30 books that were being given out that day right here! Everyone should apply next year when this amazing night comes around again! I know I sure will! 


3 comments:

  1. I'm in total agreement with you, why would anyone refuse a free book??? I'm glad you were able to end it on a high note and give the books out to people who would enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome I checked out the website and signed up for the mailing list for next year. I'd actually never heard of it before so I'm hoping to get a group of friends to do this next year because it sounds awesome. I saw Winter Girls in the ebooks section of the local library but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. Great IMM and awesome info about a great program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg I am an idiot I had both your IMM and this post open so I could read about it and meant to comment on the IMM lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...