Monday, April 16, 2012

Book Review: In Honor by Jessi Kirby

In Honor
By Jessi Kirby
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Summary: A devastating loss leads to an unexpected road trip in this novel from the author of Moonglass, whose voice Sarah Dessen says “is fresh and wise, all at once.”

Hours after her brother’s military funeral, Honor opens the last letter Finn ever sent. In her grief, she interprets his note as a final request and spontaneously decides to go to California to fulfill it.

Honor gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen Rusty in ages, but it’s obvious he is as arrogant and stubborn as ever—not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Despite Honor’s better judgment, the two set off together on a voyage from Texas to California. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn’s memory—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?


Review: I fell in love with Jessi Kirby's first novel Moonglass back in the summer, so it is definitely no surprise that I love In Honor even more. Everything about this book was so amazing that I don't even know where to start! 

This book dumps you right into Honor's brother's funeral and it's so packed with emotion that I knew I wasn't going to be putting the book down for a while. Honor is such a relatable person and I loved her as the main character. She's dealing with so much from losing her brother and then dealing with Rusty, who's moody and sarcastic and just so happens to be her brother's best friend. 

When Honor finally opens the last letter her brother had sent her to find two tickets to the concert of their favorite singer, she knows she has to go. Determined to make it to California before classes start, Honor jumps in the car with her stuff packed for college and right before she goes, Rusty invites himself along for the ride. As much as I hate Rusty at times, I can't help but love him each time he does something sweet (and out of character) for Honor. I definitely wouldn't mind being stuck in a car with him for 3 days!

Honor's journey is so addicting and I could not stop reading because I wanted to know where she would end up next. From getting caught in a storm to waking up after a fuzzy tequila filled night, there is never a dull moment. And having Rusty in the car definitely adds a whole other aspect to the story. 

This book reminds me of Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt, which is one of my all-time favorite books, so that's probably why I fell in love with this story too. Everything about In Honor is filled with emotion, discovering what really matters in life, and finding the truth about who you really are. It's definitely a road trip to remember forever. Fans of Sarah Dessen and Lauren Barnholdt seriously need to pick this book up. You may just find your next favorite author. I know I did! 


2 comments:

  1. I too love Two-Way Street! It was incredible!

    I've been "stalking" In Honor for a while now and after your review I'm totally convinced. It's a great cover too and if Honor's so relatable then it's bound to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...