Friday, April 3, 2015

Book Review: The 27 Club by Kim Karr

The 27 Club
By Kim Karr
Release Date: March 3, 2015
Summary: You don’t know when…
You don’t get to choose if…
When it’s time to join…you’ll know.

You might think you want to be a member—but trust me this is one club you don’t want to join. It’s not a place where people go to live out their deepest, darkest sexual desires—there are no handcuffs or blindfolds.

The 27 Club only admits those who die young and tragically. My brother was recently bestowed membership and joined many of our ancestors before him. I know I’m next. This is my destiny, and I was ready to yield.

But then I met Nate. He awakened a sensuality in me that had never been explored, never satisfied. I knew then I could no longer accept my destiny. Nate’s presence controls me. I’m overwhelmed by his touch, his words; my every thought is consumed by desire. I believe he was brought into my life for a reason.

Nate doesn’t believe in destiny.

But I do. 

And if there’s a way to cheat it—I must.


Review: I was so so so so so excited to read a new book by Kim Karr. I LOVED her Connected series and could not get enough of how gorgeous her newest release looked. With a stunning cover and flawless writing record (at least to me), I could not wait to read The 27 Club. 

When her brother dies at the age of 27, Zoey is convinced that she's next to join The 27 Club, a club where members of her family have died tragically at the age of 27. Trying to cope with his death and her fate, Zoey goes to pack up her brother's life and falls into Nate's life, her brother's best friend who she's known for years but never officially met. Sparks immediately fly, but Nate knows that he could never be good enough for Zoey, the beloved sister of his best friend. As Zoey sticks around and digs into her brother's life, though, she uncovers mystery after mystery about her brother that she's determined to solve. Nate doesn't know what it is about Zoey, but the longer she stays around, the harder she is to resist…

Okay, first off, this book is hot. There was serious, intense chemistry between Nate and Zoey from the moment they met in real life. While their attraction escalated quite quickly, I loved how the two of them were friends before meeting, but meeting each other was such a huge step in their relationship that was much more intimate than their random emails and texts from across the country. It was a bit cliché how Nate didn't want to be with Zoey in order to respect her brother, but it did make their attraction that much harder to deny because it was so gosh darn strong. Even though he was gone, Zoey's brother brought Zoey and Nate together and Zoey recognized instantly that Nate was the one she wanted during the possible last year of her life. I guess it would be hard to live with the fact that you were "destined" to die at 27, but it did tend to get annoying how dead set Zoey was in the fact that she was going to be a part of The 27 Club. A huge part of this book, though, was Zoey struggling with her fate and Nate attempting to persuade her to forget fate and take charge of her own life. 

While I really did enjoy the chemistry and romance of this book, the storyline as a whole was missing that little last something that would have made this a five star read. There was a lot of mystery behind Zoey's brother and I was interested in his life as an artist, but the culmination of the story felt like it should have had…a little more? I don't know, I wasn't left as satisfied as I wanted to be. I did, though, love the characters and the premise of the story. Zoey is definitely a relatable character that you want the best for. She's hurting from the loss of her brother and is still trying to figure out how to live her own life, especially when she walks into the life of a hunky, caring man like Nate. 

Overall, this was an enjoyable read with some serious heat between the main characters. Kim Karr knows how to write a romance between two people who just cannot deny their intense chemistry and attraction for one another. If you want a romance that involves a main character with an emotional past and the desire for something more in her live, specifically when it comes to the gorgeous man she can't keep her hands off of, you definitely need to check out The 27 Club.


1 comment:

  1. Just the title is enough to have me wanting to read this one. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...