Thursday, February 19, 2015

Book Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave #1) 
By Rick Yancey
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Source: Library
Amazon | The Book Depository | Goodreads
Summary: After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
 


Review: ASKDFALSKDJFLASKDNF. Those are literally my feelings about this book right now. In other words? I. Am. Obsessed. And I couldn't even form a coherent thought after finishing this book. I devoured The 5th Wave on a snow day and still can't stop thinking about it. Thank goodness the second book is already out because I have to know what the heck is going to happen next!

4 waves have washed over Earth and destroyed a majority of the population. They've taken out technology, created gigantic tsunamis, created a deadly virus, and now made it impossible for humans to even trust each other. With the 5th wave preparing to unleash, Cassie is determined to save her little brother who was taken by Them. Cassie has learned to trust no one, but when she's save and nurtured back to health by Evan Walker, Cassie ignores every warning within herself and allows herself to believe that she can trust him. When it comes time to try to get her little brother back, Cassie soon realizes that Evan may be her only hope at saving her last remaining family member. 

What. A. Book. To begin this book, we get a look into Cassie's life after the 4th wave and a little explanation of what her life was like before the aliens arrived. From the start, I loved Cassie's character and how relatable she was. She used to be a normal high school girl with a best friend and a crush on the most popular guy in school who she's never really spoken to. Now, after They came, she has to just try to survive. She's not the fastest or the strongest, which you normally get in post-apocalytpic stories, but she has the will to live and I was rooting for her on every single page. When the story first changed from her point of view to following around other characters, I wasn't happy. At all. But as soon as I got into that other character's story, whether it was Sammy or Ben, I was quickly absorbed into their world at that moment and completely forgot about how much I wanted to continue Cassie's story. Every character has something going on that you just HAVE to know more about. What's going to happen to them next? How are they going to get out of THAT situation?? My heart was racing for pretty much this entire book and I could not put it down, even if I wanted to. 

Rick Yancey is a phenomenal writer. Seriously, phenomenal. He gives you just enough information to understand this world the characters are living in, but not enough information to really let you know what's going on. I had NO IDEA who was good, who was bad, who was lying, who was telling the truth. I thought I had it all figured out and then quickly realized I was totally and completely wrong. This made the book so much more interesting and interactive as a reader because I was trying to figure out this complex world and what the aliens were really doing right alongside all of the characters who were actually living in it. Oh my gosh, and the romance. *SWOON* At first, I wasn't to sure about Evan and Cassie's relationship and how it developed, but by the end of the book I was so in love with their romance. Oh, Evan. He's definitely a new book crush for me. And how could the book just end off like that, especially in regards to his storyline?! What happens to Evan!?!?!?! 

If you can't tell, I LOVED THIS BOOK. I don't care who you are, you have to read The 5th Wave. There's sci-fi, action, romance, amazing characters, and mysteries that will force you to keep reading until the very last page. This is definitely one of the best YA books I have ever read and you can bet that I am going to find The Infinite Sea ASAP. If I don't figure out what happens to these characters, I am going to go crazy! So go out and get yourself The 5th Wave so that you can become attached to these characters and this story as much as I did.



3 comments:

  1. i am wondering if my library has it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto ..... I am also obsessed with this book ..... Although waiting for a awhile before i get the next one, need to clear a bit more space on my shelf first...... but seriously i agree this is a great book and I definitely appreciate the way Yancey went about this plot..... I do hope that the movie would be great too :)

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the 5th Wave. I can't wait to read your review on The Infinite Sea! It was crazy the twists and turns. I also loved the relationship/love Cassie had for her brother.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...