Friday, December 2, 2011

Follow My Book Blog Friday (17)


This is a meme hosted every Friday by Parajunkee, where book bloggers answer a question each week and check out how others answered it. It's a cool way for bloggers and viewers to connect and learn more about each other!

Question: What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to books? Maybe you don't like love triangles or thin plots? Tell us about it! 

Answer: You know the biggest thing I hate about some books? Unbelievable or awkward dialogue. People will say stuff that there's no way they would say out loud. Sometimes, when this happens, I stop and reread it because I'm like, "wait, did she just say that?" I mostly mean grammatically, like when they talk super grammatically correct instead of using contractions like a normal person. The one time that sticks out to me is in Twilight when Bella and Edward are driving past the police station and Bella sits up and says "What is going on?" If you say it out loud, you know that no one actually says "What is going on" when they see that something's wrong. They'll say "What's going on?" which sounds wayyy more normal. Maybe I'm crazy and the only person that gets bugged by this, but it bugs me. A lot. So when it happens in a book I get really annoyed and can't really get over how fake they sound. So yup, that's my biggest pet peeve! What's yours? 


9 comments:

  1. Ha - that gets me as well. My grammar checker in my site for reviews constantly yells at my for using 'passive dialog' but if I'm going to tell you about a book out loud or in person, I'm not going to grammar check it. Speech should be casual and informal, not hen-pecked into perfection.

    Rywn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! That drives me crazy too. It's like saying, What is up instead of what's up. So stupid sounding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very weird. I don't like that either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! yeah that bugs me to. It's like, you're not Lt. Commander Data -- you can use contractions! (and yes, I just outed myself as a Trekkie lol)

    Thanks for stopping by! I was already following on GFC but now I'm following on Twitter too :)

    Jess
    The Romanceaholic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one drives me nuts too. Now that I am reading others posts I have a longer list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bugs me too! Almost comes off as a cop-out to get to the word count better! How often do people really speak like that? We use contractions all the time!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh yeah I have issues with that too!!! Like when they say "I am sorry" it's like wtf?? no! I'm!!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pick! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Self-explanatory dialogue is the worst!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...