Saturday, December 3, 2011

Book Review: The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

Summary: Colby and Bev have a long-standing pact: graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: she's abandoning their plans - and Colby - to start college in the fall.
But the show must go on and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie- Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already-growing distance and the most important question of all: what's next?
Morris Award—finalist Nina LaCour draws together the beauty and influences of music and art to brilliantly capture a group of friends on the brink of the rest of their lives.
Review: Graduating high schools is such a life changing experience. Your whole future is waiting for you and for the first time, it's up to you to decide what to do with it. In The Disenchantments, Colby goes through this very moment when he goes on a road trip with his best friend's band, The Disenchantments, the summer before they're supposed to tour Europe together. This whole synopsis is one of the main reasons I wanted to read this book because I'm around that exact age, so I could really connect with the characters. 

Colby is a great main character and I found myself really liking him. I normally don't read books from a guy's point of view, but in this case I really didn't mind. I seriously DID NOT like Bev, Cobly's best friend, because every single thing she did bugged me. I don't like girls like Bev who go and do whatever they want and don't care about what other people want or how they feel. She uses people, yet she's never really punished for how she acts. Sure she had an excuse for the way she was acting, but I don't think that reason was good enough for treating every single person in her life like they were second to her. 

This story reminded me of movies like Juno, Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, and Whip It because it's just so funky like that. The cover really captures the essence of the story and everything about it was just a nice change from what I normally read. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who's in the mood for a quirky story about life and growing up, so pick it up when it comes out in February of 2012!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun book but that selfish character thing worries me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Jessica :) Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-disenchantments-by-nina-lacour.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! :D

    ReplyDelete

  3. Tuck loss containers could be sent level and assembled by the customer. Equally materials can be found in a number of depth'beginning at 16 gauge and planning around as high as 75 gauge. official site, have a peek at this web-site, Homepage, navigate to this website, have a peek at this web-site, dig this, my response, this page, his explanation, check my blog, Homepage The most used width'are 35 and 55 measure for polyethylene and 30 gauge and 55 gauge for polypropylene.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...