Monday, January 28, 2019

Book Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection #2)
by Kiera Cass
Release Date: April 23, 2013
Source: Own Copy 
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.
 



I don't know how Kiera Cass does it, but this series is just SO GOSH DARN ADDICTING. Seriously, there is just something about this competition to win Maxon's heart that has me obsessively reading and unable to put this series down. 

Now that she's made it into the top six, America is even more confused about what she wants. Does she really have feelings for Maxon and are his feelings for her genuine? Or does she still want to be with Aspen, the boy she's been in love with before this whole Selection even happened? As the rebels are becoming more threatening, it's more important than ever for America to decide if she can really see herself as Queen or if she just cannot support a monarchy that has done nothing to help her in life. 

AHHHHHH. This book. While I didn't love it as much as book one, I loved the Bachelor-esque storyline. America is clearly developing even stronger feelings for Maxon but constantly gets jealous when he's dating the other girls. This makes it even harder for America to trust that Maxon has feelings for her or if he's just trying to keep her around. And, like in book one, the love triangle is SO ANNOYING but in a way that I actually like it? Ugh. I clearly have a favorite but I still got confused about who I wanted America to choose. 

Not only was I addicted to the romance, but I was also intrigued by the mystery and politics of the monarchy. America was slowly uncovering secrets about the history of their country and I have so many questions that are still unanswered. I am even more eager to read the last book of this trilogy to find out who America chooses and the truth about the rebels' motives and the monarchy. 

I really shouldn't be surprised that I couldn't put this book down after how much I loved the first book in the series. I do think that this was a bit slower than the first book and America got a tad annoying with how much she flip-flopped between Aspen and Maxon, but I was still obsessed with this story and am dying to get to the next book! 

While this series isn't that new anymore, I am just discovering my love for it. With a country with a mysterious history, a love triangle, and government secrets, you won't be able to put this series down!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...