Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Book Review: One Small Thing by Erin Watt

One Small Thing
by Erin Watt
Release Date: June 26, 2018
Source: Publisher 
Beth’s life hasn’t been the same since her sister died. Her parents try to lock her down, believing they can keep her safe by monitoring her every move. When Beth sneaks out to a party one night and meets the new guy in town, Chase, she’s thrilled to make a secret friend. It seems a small thing, just for her.

Only Beth doesn’t know how big her secret really is…

Fresh out of juvie and determined to start his life over, Chase has demons to face and much to atone for, including his part in the night Beth’s sister died. Beth, who has more reason than anyone to despise him, is willing to give him a second chance. A forbidden romance is the last thing either of them planned for senior year, but the more time they spend together, the deeper their feelings get.

Now Beth has a choice to make—follow the rules, or risk tearing everything apart…again.
 


I am a huge fan of Erin Watt and I LIVE FOR the Royals series. When it came to their first YA book, though, it didn't wow me like I wanted it to. So when it came to reading this book, I went in blind and with no expectations. And I was blown away. 

Ever since her sister died, Beth has felt trapped. Her parents are becoming more and more protective and Beth feels like she'll never be able to leave, even when she finally graduates high school at the end of the school year. When she first meets Chase, she's excited and finds herself having a crush. Until she finds out that Chase was involved in her sister's death. Chase is trying to get through life day by day after serving his punishment for what he did. When he meets Beth, he's shocked to find someone willing to give him a second chance. But while Beth is willing to see his good, no one else would ever understand a relationship between them. 

Oh my goodness, from the moment we met him, I was obsessed with Chase. I felt so bad for him for carrying the weight of his past on his shoulders. Chase was such a strong character and never let anyone push him down, no matter how hard they tried. Beth tried so hard to show Chase that their pasts and society's opinions didn't matter if they felt so right together and I loved how adamant she was. Chase and Beth were able to bond over their grief and loss and form a connection that no one else could ever understand. 

While I was reading this book, I just couldn't put it down. Normally I hate characters like Beth who act out when their parents set down rules, but I completely understood Beth and really empathized with her. I understood where her parents were coming from, but I felt just as frustrated with them as Beth was and I wanted her to rebel and go out and live her own life. Especially if it meant growing closer to Chase!

Overall, One Small Thing completely surprised me and I devoured the story. I have a HUGE crush on Chase and really loved Beth's character. Beth grew so much and had so many ups and downs, which is just the reality of life for a teenager, especially a teenager who has gone through as much as Beth has. For a raw storyline and an adorable romance, you have to pick up One Small Thing!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...