Thursday, September 22, 2016

Book Review: We Were Liars by E Lockhart

We Were Liars
By E Lockhart 
Release Date: May 13, 2014
Source: Book Outlet 
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.




After finishing this book, I was so conflicted over my feelings about it. All I had heard was that it was amazing and shocking and that I was going to love it. After reading it, I was definitely shocked, but I'm not so sure I completely loved it. 

Normally I would go into a summary here, but I think that it's best to go into this one blind. So all I'm going to say is that it's about a girl who's trying to figure out a secret. That's pretty much all I can tell you to give you the full experience of this book. 

The one thing that I'm not a huge fan of is the fact that the only reason I felt like I was reading it was to figure out the answer to the secret at the end. What were they hiding from the main character? I wasn't huge fan of her or her friends and I was waiting for the huge shocking moment that everyone who has talked about this book was blown away by. I think that since I had such high expectations for the ending, when the secret was revealed, I wasn't all that impressed. 

I really enjoyed the lyrical writing of this book and how unique it was, but that writing style is definitely not for everyone. Since I've been drifting away from YA, it was refreshing to read something so different and poetic. That being said, though, I do think that the author didn't make really realistic teenage characters, specifically with the main character and her love interest. They spoke very philosophically and I found that unrealistic and a bit annoying by how pretentious they acted. 

While there were things that bothered me, this was still a beautiful book that was so unique that I had to give it some credit. It wasn't a horrible read, I just wish I wasn't spending the whole book looking forward to the ending, only to be a little let down. If you decide to read this one, be prepared for the lyrical language and a narrator that you're either going to love or really hate.



1 comment:

  1. I liked this book, but I wasn't all that surprised by the ending. Maybe because I've read other books that pulled that on me and I was super shocked those books. The one thing that bugged me was they never said why they were called Liars. I still haven't figured it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...