Thursday, April 28, 2016

Book Review: Shy Kinda Love by Deanna Eshler

Shy Kinda Love
By Deanna Eshler
Release Date: February 26, 2015
Source: Author
When I was eleven, my best friend died in a car accident. When I was twelve, my mom walked out, leaving only a note to say goodbye. When I was eighteen, I was forced into witness protection. 

My new name is Shyanne Adams. To protect myself, and painless existence, I do not live. I do not laugh. I do not love. For the last three years, the only meaningful thing I’ve done is care for the horse I rescued. 

But now, at the age of twenty-one, the one person from both my past and present is pushing me to start living. Before I know it, I’m moving in with new friends who make me laugh. And next door is Kade Cross, the guy who wants me to love. 

Kade knows that I will complicate his life, but he welcomes the challenge. He sees that I’m broken, but he doesn’t try to fix me. When he knows I’m trying to push him away, he braces for the impact. 

What Kade doesn’t know is that I could have to relocate at any time. So I have to decide: is experiencing love for a short time worth the pain of losing it? 




As a new adult fan, I was excited to see what Deanna could bring to the genre. I had the pleasure of meeting Deanna two years ago at a Colleen Hoover signing and we bonded over our love for all things new adult. She contacted me a little bit later asking if I wanted to read her book and I couldn't resist. I mean, just look at that cover! That being said, though, my review is (as always) completely honest and is in no way swayed by the fact that I personally know this author. 

Shyanne Adams wasn't always Shyanne Adams. That's the witness protection identity she received after finally standing up to her father and the men her father let use her for her body. Broken and untrusting, Shyanne lives the next three years seeking solace with her horses and her best friend Ryker. When Kade Cross appears in her life, though, Shyanne starts shedding her guarded layers and finds herself making friends and learning to trust others. As soon as she let's go of the pain of her past, though, it comes rushing back, reminding her of who she used to be…

Holy moly, talk about an emotional new adult. Shyanne was seriously damaged because of her father, so she was so broken and found it very hard to trust others. I loved the moment she met Kade, aka Patron, and was freaked out over having feelings over someone. Kade is the image of my perfect guy- nerdy, smart, caring, and impossibly good looking. My only problem with Kade, though, is that I felt like we barely got to know anything about him! What did he used to do before Shyanne got there and where was he from and what was his family like? I felt like his only identity was that he was a nerd and I wish that we got to know him as much as we had gotten to know Shyanne. 

But back to the emotion. There were some very, very intense scenes in this book, especially near the end when Shyanne's past started to catch up to her. And how connected Shyanne was with her horses? So heartwarming and heartbreaking. I loved how Shyanne used her own broken past to connect with broken horses. Any book with animals just completely steals my heart. Oh, and I can't forget Shyanne's newfound friends! Keagen and Gemma were amazing characters and I loved the flare they added to the story. 

Overall, this was a stellar debut from Deanna Eshler. She brought the emotions, fun characters, and a heartbreaking romance. While it leaned on being the cliche-broken-girl-new-adult, it held it's own and added lovable elements like the horses and Kade's adorable character. If you want an emotional new adult full of growth and a tender relationship, you should pick up Shy Kinda Love.



1 comment:

  1. I really like the sound of this one! Contemporary is my genre of choice and I especially love NA. I'm trying to think if I ever read a book that included someone in the witness protection program and I can't think of a single one. So for me that's definitely a unique aspect. Sad that Kade isn't really developed but otherwise this sounds like one I want to pick up. Enjoyed your review, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...