Thursday, May 16, 2013

Book Review: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day
By Gayle Forman
Release Date: January 8, 2013
Source: Library
Summary: A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!


Review: Ever since this book came out in January, I've been seeing review after review just raving about how amazing it is. And it has a Goodreads rating of 4.17, which is pretty dang good for a YA contemporary novel. AND add in the fact that it's about a girl who travels to Europe and I knew I had to get my hands on it. What do you know, just as expected, I loved it!

Allyson expected to have the time of her life on her European trip with the teen tour group her parents signed her up for, but she's been feeling disappointed in the reality of the countries she sees during the entire trip. When she meets charming Willem in their last city, though, she feels the spark she's been yearning for the entire time. So she goes off to Paris with him and spends the most fantastic day exploring Paris, only to wake up the next morning with Willem gone and no idea where she is. Over the next year and back home in college, Allyson can only think about Willem and the person she was with him, and her normal life just doesn't seem good enough. Allyson uses Shakespeare, travel, and some newfound friends to get out of her funk and finally find out who she really wants to be. 

Oh my goodness, this book was good. I was expecting a book about a girl who spends a glorious day in Paris and that's it. But you get SO much more. Allyson's character is so relatable in the fact that she doesn't know how to be the outgoing party girl and really doesn't know how to make friends in college. So acting wild and carefree with Willem really leaves an impact on how she thinks about her life. Who wouldn't relive that day over and over again in their minds? 

I absolutely loved the travel in this book as well. Allyson's trips were pretty realistic instead of being about people who up and decide to travel to Europe at the drop of a hat. Allyson's trips take planning and it's fun to be able to anticipate her adventures along with her, just waiting to see what will happen next in her life. 

And oh boy, what an ending! Did Gayle Forman really leave us with that?!? I'm so excited for the next book now because I HAVE to know what happens next! I could not stop reading this book and the fact that the next book is from Willem's point of view makes me insanely excited. Why do I have to wait until October though? I don't know if I'll be able to make it without going crazy!



6 comments:

  1. I knew it was gonna end leaving you desperate for the next book that is why I haven't read it yet but I'm going to in October :) Gayle Forman is an awesome author! Thanks for your review!

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Gayle Forman's previous two books so I am also really excited for this one but since I've waited till now, I might as well wait until the sequel comes out because like you, everyone died because of that ending.

    I love travel books too and I'm glad you couldn't put it down, I expected nothing less from Gayle Forman

    Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book to pieces! I actually read it on a plane on the way to Paris and in the hotel there. Pretty good timing if you ask me. I just love Gayle Forman's writing to much and I can't wait to read Just One Year. Only a few more months to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t put this on my TBR list yet because I’ve been skeptical of TOO many good reviews. But your write-up has convinced me that perhaps I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the book so much! I can't wait for the next book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...