Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book Review: Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan

Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy #3)
By Sarah Rees Brennan
Release Date: September 23, 2014
Source: Publisher
Summary: Powerful love comes with a price. Who will be the sacrifice?

Kami has lost the boy she loves, is tied to a boy she does not, and faces an enemy more powerful than ever before. With Jared missing for months and presumed dead, Kami must rely on her new magical link with Ash for the strength to face the evil spreading through her town.

Rob Lynburn is now the master of Sorry-in-the-Vale, and he demands a death. Kami will use every tool at her disposal to stop him. Together with Rusty, Angela, and Holly, she uncovers a secret that might be the key to saving the town. But with knowledge comes responsibility—and a painful choice. A choice that will risk not only Kami’s life, but also the lives of those she loves most.

This final book in the Lynburn Legacy is a wild, entertaining ride from beginning to shocking end.


Review: You know what I hate about reading a series before the entire series has already come out? Waiting so long for the next book to be released that I completely forget what happened in the other books. I remember really enjoying Unspoken and Untold, but it took me awhile to get back into the groove of the story and fully grasp what exactly was going on in Unmade, the final book of The Lynburn Legacy series. 

Now that she's linked to a boy who's not the one she loves while the boy she loves has been missing for months and is presumed dead, Kami has to rely on her link with Ash to try and save their town from an evil sorcerer more powerful than anyone. Rob Lynburn has taken over Sorry-in-the-Vale and doesn't care who has to die in order for him to have even more power. Kami turns to her friends and family to come together and try to defeat this monster determined to control her town and everyone in it. Kami must make sacrifices to save the ones she loves and pulls on every ounce of power in her to defeat the most powerful sorcerer of all. 

This series is unlike anything I've ever read before. Throughout every novel, I loved how quirky, sarcastic, and full-on hilarious the characters could be. Their joking definitely made their depressing situation a bit lighter and had me laughing out loud at some moments. And the way the more serious characters (*cough* Lillian *cough) were fed up with the sarcasm made the jokes that much more funny. While Kami is a kick-butt heroine who will do anything to save her town, I loved all of the other characters who made up Kami's family. Rusty, Jared, Ash, Angela, Holly, even Ten and Tomo. They all had their own personalities and quirks that made this book as entertaining as it was. 

While the characters were great, I wasn't too thrilled with the pacing of this novel. There's a lot of waiting around and I felt like that was dragged out and the ending was just too rushed. The last 100 pages or so were packed with Kami trying to save the town and wrapping up the series, and I wish we had more development and suspense instead of a rush of everything happening at once. The final face-off ended up being hard to follow and was over way too quickly. I wanted more action than we got in this novel, as well as less drama from Kami and Jared. The way Jared was acting towards Kami didn't really gel with me and I wish he wasn't such a jerk, especially when he explained himself in the end. His actions didn't really make sense and I didn't want him to act the way he did throughout the novel. Sorry for the vagueness, but I don't want to give anything away!

Overall, we still got the lovable characters from the first two books, but I wasn't a big fan of the pacing and the rushed ending. I was confused with what was going on more often than I would have liked, specifically because some important things happened too fast and I had to stop and reread to understand what exactly had just happened. While I still definitely recommend this series because it's such a unique take on magic/sorcery with utterly lovable, funny characters, I just wasn't as satisfied with this final novel as I wanted to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...