Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Topics/Words That Will Make You NOT Pick Up A Book


This is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week bloggers share a list of books for the prompt given. So hopefully I'll have a new list to share with you all each week!

This Week's Topic: Top Ten Topics/Words That Will Make You NOT Pick Up A Book

1. Zombies
As much as my Dad loves them, I just can't get into dead people eating other people. 
2. Insta-love
There's nothing worse than two people who are all the sudden all over each other and in love without ever even talking to each other. 
3. Books about girls who are full of themselves
I hate it when main characters talk about how awesome they are. One book I read, a girl even said she didn't understand why the guy she liked was talking to another girl (who was supposedly her friend) because she was by far so much prettier and had a much better body than her friend. That's just mean and I don't like reading about a person like that. 
4. Books about completely insecure girls
Ughhh I do not want to read about a girl who constantly puts herself down. 
5. Same gender romances
Sorry, just not my cup of tea. 
6. Depressing, serious books about natural disasters or third world countries
I've tried reading more serious books, but when I do, I don't have the urge to pick up that book and read for the rest of the day. Instead, I dread reading about the depressing topic and I'd much rather stick with my happy, fluffy romances. 
7. Non-fiction
I just can't seem to get into non-fiction books. I need a story and a plot to really get into things. 
8. Cheating
I don't know why, but cheating seems like a really popular topic in movies and books lately. I really don't like this concept because NO ONE should cheat on their significant other, so why should I want to read about it in a book? 
9. Main characters with alcohol/drug abuse problems
Things get too messed up way too quickly in books like that. 
10. Romance with HUGE age differences
Bleh, sometimes it's just gross the age differences in some stories. I think 10 years is really pushing things. Most of the time it's with an older guy, and I'd think it would be REALLY weird if it were a girl with a guy 10 years younger. Just stick to the same age range please! 

14 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the cheating. I HATE that in books. It's one of my biggest turn-offs.

    Great list!

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not stand a book where the girl is constantly putting herself down, but usually I don't know this until I am reading the book, then it is too late. I think it was Struck by Jennifer Bosworth that I just read and the girl was like that. Got on my nerves! My TTT.

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of them, although I don't have a problem with 5 :) Instalove is on my list too, I really hate that, it's so unrealistic!

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great point. I really don't like a book where the girl is constantly putting herself down. It's exhausting, and it makes me angry.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been seeing romance around a lot. You start to wonder why it is everywhere :) Like the Insta-love pick. That is annoying indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also not a fan of insta-love. Doesn't feel real to me! Hate cheating too. I recently read Thoughtless and I almost threw my ipad across the room! Great list!

    My TTT

    Ally @ Book Fixation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice list! I agree with all of that really! Although for me, insta-love is a hit or miss to liking it. But I usually don't like it either, but sometimes the insta-love can be done in a way that at least isn't annoyingly so. Although, I cannot for the life of me think of an example! That's how rare it is!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some great picks! I agree especially with the last one..... I think in real life it doesn't feel so bad (may parents have a big age gap) but reading about it just feels creepy....especially when you read those paranormal books where the guy is like 3000 and the girl is 17 or 18....those are just plain old weird! Great list!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list!!! I am the same way with number 5, I just don't like reading those books.
    And I completely agree with Cheating. You should never ever cheat on your significant other. It's just not right.
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good list!! I really don't like it when the age range thing gets too far apart also! I read the synopsis about this one book where it was a 30 yr. old teacher who was having a relationship with his 17 year old student, but 5 years later they were still dating and the reader was supposed to root for them! Ummmm gross!! and should've been illegal when it started!! Insta-Love is a big no-no for me and I'm starting to be more ok with zombie books, although I'm still not 100% on them :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree with #2! I love to have romance featured in my books, but I want it to feel natural. Not like "I know we just met 5 minutes ago, but let's get married tomorrow!"

    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with most of these though I do enjoy #5 on occasion. I especially agree with the dislike of insta-love. I want things to develop as realistically as possible. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! I can agree with several of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I never thought I could fall for the Age difference thing! Actually, I still don't. the only time I did like that in a book, or the TV show, actually was Pretty Little Liars. However, it was teacher student and an age difference of like...6 or 7 years? And the guy who played the teacher was too cute not to love him :) With real big age differences, though, I tend to have huge problems :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...