Sunday, July 21, 2013

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge Day 14


Day 14: Tell us your deal breakers
Hmmmm I don't think I really have any deal breakers. You see, I tend to read books before actually reading the back cover and knowing what the heck the book is going to be about. Then, I have a serious problem where I HAVE to finish a book. I don't even remember the last book I didn't read all the way through. But one thing that will bug the heck out of me while reading is bad grammar, which tends to happen more with self published books. 


Or books that use too many big words that aren't necessary, or repeat the same phrases and actions over and over and over again (*cough* Fifty Shades *cough*). But back to the grammar. sometimes it's shocking how many mistakes a book has. One time, I was reading a book that had AT LEAST two mistakes a page, and I'm not even exaggerating. I told the author she should watch out for that, and she was all offended saying that it's really hard for authors to catch every little mistake. Well, you should put in the time if you want respect from readers! Sorry about that little rant, it just really bothers me when there are so many grammar mistakes in a published books. 

What about you guys? Are there any deal breakers you have when reading?

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, grammar is a big deal to me! I don't understand how native English speakers can't grasp the difference between 'your' and 'you're' - especially if they're working in the publishing industry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Wrong grammar is so frustrating, I can't believe how badly edited some books are, even non self-published books. It's pretty distracting from the actual story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grammar is a huge one for me too. I don't like obvious translations either. If a book is written in English, it needs to be GOOD English.

    (BTW, your blog is going through a tornado or something and the noise scares the shit out of me when I first click on it)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...