Thursday, November 8, 2012

Follow My Book Blog Friday (62)


This is a meme hosted every Friday by Parajunkee, where book bloggers answer a question each week and check out how others answered it. It's a cool way for bloggers and viewers to connect and learn more about each other!

Question: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings, or pulled-to-publish fanfic? 

Answer: I've never really thought about it, but I don't think so! My absolute favorite books are the fluffy romances and they all tend to get the same after a while, but I just can't get enough of them! Seriously, I could sit there and read them all day and still be fascinated and entranced by the story...


And retellings are some of by favorites too! I love how an author can take a classic like a Shakespeare play or a Bronte book and make it their own in a completely different world. It's like they take the same old story and turn it inot something beautiful and magnificent! 


So to sum this all up, no, I don't mind books with similar ideas/comcepts/backgrounds. It's so hard to be original these days because it seems like everything has been done already. But if you can put your own spin on the story with unique characters or settings, I'll probably love your book just as much as the original one. If it's good, why should I judge it because it's similar to another story? If you can give me a good romance and keep my attention, then I'm all yours :)


18 comments:

  1. I feel same way! I LOVE Cinderella retellings especially! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like fairy tale retellings as well, but they have to be done well. Great answer! :D Old follower via GFC. My FFs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...I am not a fan-fic fan at all. I don't read any of that stuff. But I don't mind a new spin on other stories if the author twists it around a little. Some stories are so universal that it’s almost a given that they will be retold, like The Iliad and the Odyssey. The story is an archetype of the hero’s journey.

    New follow via Twitter.

    Julie~ New Adult Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping through. I like fluffy romances too - and the whole point is that you essentially know the story when you start it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answer!

    Here's my FF Post!
    Andrea @ Literary Getaway
    Old Follower(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping through. I love fairy tale retellings too. New follower through Twitter.

    My FF: http://roundedpages.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/517/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great answer! I can't get enough of my paranormal reads either, no matter how similar they may be to other readers. To me they are all so different from one another.

    And I LOOOOVE fairy tale retellings! Can't get enough of those!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i had never really thought of this until today! love your answer. so true with those romance novels! LOL

    Trish - My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your answer and thanks for stopping by! I have been following your blog forever!!

    Old follower :)

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting my site...looks like we have similar opinions on this one. I noticed your Team Stefan...would we be mortal enemies if I told you I was Team Damon? :-)

    New follower

    http://www.christywrites.com/book-log.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! First I love the picture for your follow Friday! Starbucks is awesome haha.

    Second I get that. I'm really into Paranormal Romance so I know there will be similar things in each book, but it's those books that I read and I'm wait did I read this already? That bug me LOL :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Old Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute post. Nice answer.

    new follower
    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-and-follow-25_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! I have been on a Dystopian kick for awhile so I am very happy that so many authors have picked up on the trend and are each putting their own spinn on it.

    New follower :) Lindsey @ www.thebookguru.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great answer :). You said exactly what I wanted to say, but I got a little rambly. :(
    Old follower.
    my F&F
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2012/11/friday-56-10-feature-friday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love your answer! It's so true. Within certain genres, the stories seem to have very similar themes...or as I like to say, they follow a formula. :-)

    Tamara @ Shelf Addiction
    shelfaddiction.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your answer! I do love (fairy tale) retellings :) Though I do prefer them if they're somewhat original. Creative stories are the best!
    New follower and happy friday :)

    Judith @ Paper Riot

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a fellow fluffy romance lover, I completely agree! I think it is so much fun to see how a great writer can take a classic plot and give it a new life. Old follower.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great answer!
    New follow & I added your blog button to my blogroll!
    Megan @ BooksiView

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...