Sunday, November 4, 2012

Book Review: Possession by Elana Johnson

Possession
By Elana Johnson
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Source: Publisher
Summary: Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even thinkabout kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

Review: I have heard A TON of mixed reviews about this book. I know people who loved it and told me to read it as soon as I could, but then I've seen reviews that absolutely hated the book. So, I had no idea what to expect with this one. I'm pleased to say, though, that I found this book to be quite an enjoyable read! 

Vi has lived her whole life being told how to live as a Good girl. No touching others. No being along with boys. No being out after dark. But Vi can't help but break the rules, especially when it comes to her match Zenn. When Vi is caught breaking the rules one to many times, the Thinkers take her to jail where she is forced to share a cell with Jag, an intriguing Bad boy with a smile that could melt any girls heart. Vi and Jag grow closer as they realize they share the desire to think for themselves, along with their strange mind abilities. When Vi and Jag escape, they're in for a long, dangerous journey that leads to answers neither of them are prepared to hear. 

This story was definitely a fast paced one full of kick-butt characters. Vi seriously rules and is a girl who doesn't need a man to do the dirty work (though having the gorgeous Jag by her side doesn't seem to bother her...). She isn't afraid to put down her enemies and get things done all on her own. And Jag, like I said, is extremely gorgeous and has that Bad guy attitude down pat. Behind that tough exterior, though, he really cares for those he loves and Vi finds herself wishing she were one of those people...but what about Zenn? Yeah, her life is just a bit tricky to figure out! 

While the story captivated your attention and failed to let you go until you finish (trust me, I couldn't put this down), there were multiple times where I got really confused as to what was going on in the book. I found myself stopping and turning back pages to see if I had missed something because I wasn't sure what was currently going on. The story seemed to move a bit too fast and didn't expand enough on the complex world they were all living in. I'm still confused about the different lands/communities and who was allowed to do what where, but I still caught on enough to follow the story. That, though, was really my only concern about the entire book. Some people didn't like the intensity of Vi and Jag's relationship, but I totally loved it! And what an ending! Wow, I really can't wait for the next book! Possession is one of those stories that completely entraps your attention so that by the ending, you're left begging for more. I'm so happy I have the next one on my shelf because I'm definitely diving into it as soon as I can. I can't wait to see what's in store next for Vi, Jag, and their insane world of not knowing what thoughts are theirs, and which ones are those of their enemies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...