Friday, October 26, 2012

Follow My Book Blog Friday (60)


This is a meme hosted every Friday by Parajunkee, where book bloggers answer a question each week and check out how others answered it. It's a cool way for bloggers and viewers to connect and learn more about each other!

Question: What writing device or trick most irritates you when reading a book? For example, if an author employs an omnipotent narrator that is sometimes considered bad form. 

Answer: Let me think...I'd say that the thing authors do that bugs me the most is when they don't develop a romance enough and it's like **BAM** they're in love! What about the chase? Isn't that what makes a good romance?? I'm reading this book to come along for the ride...the chase and journey is what makes the story interesting...


NOT a two second meet and greet that results in the most intense romance ever. That's not a story. And it gets annoying how super in love they are when they don't even know each other! When they meet each other and the very next chapter they're in love, I'm just like...


Because that's absolutely ridiculous and I just end up getting annoyed with the characters instead of completely immersed in their story. So if the book has extreme insta-love, I will not enjoy reading it. If the romance progresses (even if it's a bit obvious and cliche), I'll be a happy girl :) 


15 comments:

  1. I don't mind insta-love, but I love what you said about the whole 'chase one another' type of relationship. Aww! That's cute. Also, nice to see Zac Efron! *swoons* ;)

    New follower here! :)

    My Feature & Follow Friday

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many YA books are insta-love these days so it's wonderful to find abook that has a real relationship. I love seeing 'the chase' and really connecting with the characters.

    New follower. :)

    My Feature & Follow

    Myra @ Pieces of Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said the same thing! I think this is going to be a popular answer today. :) Seriously, NO ONE likes insta-love. I wonder why authors use it so much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insta-Love is one of the things I hate too! Old follower.

    Our FF is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, insta-love sucks somethimes. I want to feel the connection they have & some depth. ;)

    Thanx for stopping by. Happy Friday!

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excellent points! Like the POTC video! I can't stand insta love either!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never noticed it before but you are right. Insta-love does make the book a bit duller.
    Old folower
    My F&F
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2012/10/friday-56-8-feature-friday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree! I want some emotional development and proof of a connection to really enjoy a romance. No insta-love for me! Old follower.

    Happy Friday!
    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Insta love needs to end! I need to feel the romance, and I can't if there's no substance.
    New follower!

    Momo @ Where the Mome Raths Outgrabe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great answer!

    http://mydailyobsessionreview.blogspot.com/2012/10/feature-and-follow-3.html

    old follower GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have blog hopped enough to realize it's a pet peeve with most people. And yet so popular. Boggles me!

    New follower via GFC!

    My post - F&F: Lit Tropes
    Addie @ READioactive Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha a girl after my own heart! Unless there is a reincarnation story or something where they've been in love before and don't remember so there's an instant pull and then we find out why, then it's just dumb. No one falls in love after seconds of meeting.

    I love the chase. Some of the most interesting stories are the ones where the couples grow together and learn about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loving all the instalove answers. I forgot to include it but I hate it too!

    My follow friday! Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!
    I totally agree. I can't get in to some of the insta-love stuff. (most of the time)
    New follower via GFC :)
    My F&F: http://nightmareonbookstreet.blogspot.com/2012/10/feature-follow-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Agreed -- the chase is the most interesting part. Why cut it out? I love reading the awkward beginnings of a romance, because I think it's something everyone can relate to.

    If you haven't read 'The Scorpio Races', I think it's now one of my favorite love stories ever.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...