Thursday, August 4, 2011

Book Review: A Place Called Blessing by John Trent

Summary: When Josh was five, he and his two brothers lost their parents in a drunk-driving accident. After bouncing from foster home to foster home and being the cause a horrible accident, Josh is 18-years-old and on his own. Josh finds work wherever he can and sleeps wherever he happens to find. One day, he comes upon a construction job and meets Mike. From there, he finds a place to live and a family he didn't ask for. As Josh pushes Mike and his mom away, he realizes that not all people in the world are bad. But can he truly learn to trust people again after all he's been through? 


Review: I was so surprised that I actually really enjoyed this book. Josh's story was so interesting to read and really opened my eyes to the world of foster care. I could feel his emotion and anger while going through life in the foster care system. There were times when this book made me really sad and there were times when I was happy. I really cared about Josh and how his life would end up especially when he was homeless. I wish that more time was spent on Josh's time in the foster care system as a teenager instead of jumping from being a child to being 18. When it got to him being on his own though, I couldn't stop reading. I loved Mike and Anna and how they welcomed Josh into their family even though they didn't even know him. Josh didn't want anything to do with them, but Anna didn't care. Mike and Anna were such good people that I was surprised how much I cared for what happened to them. This was such a heartfelt book and I was glad that even thought they went to church and believed in God, they didn't talk about it every other sentence. The book was all about Josh and I enjoyed reading his emotional, yet very good story.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...