Sunday, December 29, 2013

Book Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
By Michelle Hodkin
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Source: Library
Summary: Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.


Review: This book has been on my TBR list for the longest time. After seeing so many people give it a five star rating, I was dying to read it to see what all of the hype was about. It may have taken two years, but I finally got myself a copy and read the entire thing in one day. 

Mara Dyer had a normal life. Until she wakes up in the hospital to figure out three of her friends are dead and that she was there, but has no recollection of what happened. Mara convinces her family to move to Florida as she tries to deal with understanding what exactly happened that night. Strange things keep on happening, though, and Mara doesn't know if they're real or if she's just crazy. Throw in an insanely gorgeous British classmate who just won't leave her alone and Mara is a goner. 

Hmm I'm not sure what to think about this one. I flew through the story, but there were moments where I had to reread and say, "What just happened!?" The story was so mind boggling, but I think there were points that were a little too vague and out there. Things happened (sorry for the vagueness, but I don't want to spoil anything) that had no explanation whatsoever and the story continued with absolutely no explanation or second glance. Maybe I just wasn't smart enough to put the pieces together (I can be pretty oblivious at hints in books at times), but it happened a bit too much for my taste. 

Other than the unexplained points of confusion, this book was good. And I mean really good. I haven't read anything like it, and that ending had me begging for more. What exactly was going on with Mara? What really happened that night and what the heck was going on with all of the characters now? You don't know! You're heart will be racing with every turn of the page with this one. It's that intense!

And, of course, I loved the romance between Mara and Noah. He may seem like a self-involved player, but he is SO much more than that. I loved how he was British and really knew how to show Mara that she was the real deal for him. He is definitely swoon worthy and I'm not going to forget about him anytime soon. 

In the end, this was a great book if you don't mind a bit confusion for the sake of a thrilling, creepy story. I can't wait to pick up the next book! If you're like me and are way behind on the bandwagon, you have to check out this book. It's definitely unlike anything you'll ever read!



3 comments:

  1. OOh nice! Oddly enough I have been getting more curious about this one! When it first came out I didn't know what it was that everyone was so excited about, but now, I am starting to get intrigued! Glad to find a review in my deciding time! Great review too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on seeing this book everywhere and not reading it. Good thing you have because you liked it. I still need to jump on board. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has been on my TBR list forever, too. I really need to get to it and soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...