It's that time of year again to fill out the end of year book survey from Perpetual Page Turner! I can't wait to see what awesome books I read this year and look forward to yet another reading year in 2015!
Number Of Books You Read: 170
Number of Re-Reads: 4
Genre You Read The Most From: No idea!
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
It's so hard to pick just one book! But if I had to narrow it down to my absolute favorite book of the year, I'd have to go with Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover. Wow. That book. Check out my review if you want to hear me gush over how amazing it was!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I got How to Love for Christmas last year and couldn't wait to read it. The cover is gorgeous and the reviews made it seem like I would love it. When I finally got to read it, though, I pretty much hated the guy the main character was in love with and didn't understand how she could throw away her whole life for him. I was annoyed for about 90% of the book and ended up giving it 2/5 stars.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
After the huge paranormal fad that washed through the reading world when Twilight was out, I haven't really read that many paranormal books. When I had the chance to review Chained by Night by Larissa Ione, I wasn't sure I would like it. I ended up loving it and fell in love with the sexy vampires.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Pretty much every Samantha Young book, but most specifically Before Jamaica Lane. I LOVE this series and tell everyone who loves New Adult that they have to read it too!
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best Series Started: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Best Sequel: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Best Series Ender: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
I've got to go with Jamie McGuire on this one, too! I read Beautiful Disaster over the summer and cannot believe I waited this long to read her book. I devoured the second one and have the third in the series waiting to be read on my shelf. I can't wait to see what else she has in store for the Maddox brothers!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I'd have to say Alienated by Melissa Landers! I pretty much never read books about aliens, but I really loved this one!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay was so action packed and I had no idea what was going to happen to the characters of the story. I loved how good at fighting Aurora was and how she never hesitated to enter a fight.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins! I hope to reread all of Stephanie's books next year because they're so gosh darn good.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
I read Love Letters to the Dead solely for its cover. Too bad I didn't like the story :(
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Jane from Jane Eyre. I loved the movie but after reading this book this year, nothing could compare to the character Charlotte Bronte created on paper.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
For this one, I definitely have to go with Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally. As a runner, I connected with Annie on a whole new level and the entire time I was reading this book, I was itching to go out and achieve as much as Annie did.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I have owned this book for forever and I am so glad I picked it up before I saw the movie!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
“People don't get to choose who they fall in love with. They only get to choose who they stay in love with.”
― Colleen Hoover, Maybe Someday
― Colleen Hoover, Maybe Someday
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Longest: Sweet Dreams by Kristen Ashley (668 Pages)
Shortest: Persuasion by Jane Austen (180 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)Little White Lies by Katie Dale! Oh my gosh, the plot twist was SO INSANE and I made my sister read the book after me so that I could see how she reacted. She was as freaked out as I was!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)Ummm, no one? Sorry, I'm perfectly happy with everyone who got together and wouldn't want them with anyone else!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Reagan and Dee from Open Road Summer by Emery Lord. Their friendship was so real and I absolutely loved it.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Katie McGarry has been and always will be one of my favorite authors. Her 2014 release Take Me On did not disappoint!
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I had seen so many people read and rave about On the Fence by Kasie West, so I knew that I had to read it. I'm so glad I did because it's the kind of YA contemporary that I absolutely love to read.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Ooooh, there are so many amazing men I've met in 2014, but my newest would have to be Josh from Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. I know he was far from perfect, but it was his flaws that made him so lovable!
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Hands down Open Road Summer by Emery Lord. I can't wait to read her next release next year!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I'd have to say Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay. The world was so cool and I love how it was a different take on Sleeping Beauty.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Oh, that's definitely Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover!
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Colorado Mountain Series by Kristen Ashley. I had never heard of Kristen Ashely before 2014, but when I had the chance to review these three books from her series, I decided to give it a shot. Boy have I been missing out on one amazing author! I can't wait to read even more of her books in 2015.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
I literally could not think of anything else but this book as I was reading it and for the entire day after I read it. The emotions were so intense and the circumstances of the characters were just so unfair! I've never felt so helpless and emotional when reading a book.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The way Ugly Love was written was so perfect and absolutely heart wrenching.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I absolutely loved the first book in this series, but they got worse as the books went on. The third and final book was really disappointing and I was mad that such a great first book was let down by the rest of the series.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
There are so many fantastic blogs, but I'd have to say Sarah's blog Words With Sarah! We connected on twitter over our love for Colleen Hoover and we literally love all of the same books. I love reading her reviews of books that I know I'd love to read too!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
That'd have to be my reviews for Isla and the Happily Ever After and Maybe Someday. I had such strong feelings for those two books and poured them out in my review.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I loved sharing my favorite fall TV shows on my blog! I love TV and movie as much as I love books, so it was fun being able to talk about TV on here. Hopefully I can do more of that in 2015!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Oh, that'd definitely be the TBTB Secret Santa! This is the second year I participated and my gift was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better secret santa and I already can't wait until next year!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
When I got to meet Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines, and Jamie McGuire on their Atria Indie Author Tour! Those women are amazing and write even more amazing books!
6. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Based on views, the most popular post was my Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop. Who doesn't love a good giveaway?
7. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I really enjoyed doing the Book Boyfriends A-Z Challenge but not a lot of people seemed interested in the post. I would have liked to see more people join the challenge and see what fictional men they all loved, too!
8. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
The Book Outlet! They had two amazing sales with coupon codes after Thanksgiving and after Christmas. I got a lot of books that I've been dying to read for amazing prices. How have I never heard of them before???
9. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I finished two out of the four that I set. I complete my TBR challenge by reading 32 books in my TBR pile (not for review or school). I did not complete my classics challenge, though I did read many classics this year! I was supposed to read books that fit under 6 categories, but I only read books that fit under 3 of them. I also failed my A-Z book challenge AGAIN. Darn Q, X, and Z were not completed. I did, though, manage to compete my Goodreads challenge and read exactly 170 books to read my goal of reading 170 books this year. I'd say that's an accomplishment!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
I have After and After We Collide by Anna Todd on my shelf and I am definitely itching to read them. Not only do I love One Direction, but I've also hear that they're fantastic for the story alone!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
There are so many books I am looking forward to coming out next year, but my top three would have to be Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally, Things We Know By Heart by Jessi Kirby, and Confess by Colleen Hoover.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
That'd have to be The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark! Not only is the cover gorgeous but it's about skating partners! How cute does that sound??
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Samantha Young!!! Moonlight on Nightingale Way, the SIXTH book in the On Dublin Street series comes out in June and I can't wait!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Read at least 170 books for the third year in a row! With graduation and (hopefully) starting a real job, I hope I can still keep up with reading as much as I have these past two years.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
If you haven't read anything by Penelope Douglas yet, you have to. Right now. I finished Falling Away in one day and it was amazing.