Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Book Review: Temporary by Sarina Bowen and Sarah Mayberry

Temporary 
by Sarina Bowen and Sarah Mayberry
Release Date: September 12, 2017
Source: Authors
The most beautiful man I've ever seen is the one who can ruin everything...

The first time I lay eyes on Callan Walker, I know he’ll be trouble. With his smug grin, hot Aussie accent and thousand dollar shoes, he’s just the kind of rich guy who always gets what he wants.

And he wants two things: a night of sin, and my cooperation as he outmaneuvers his powerful mother to take control of his uncle’s estate.

I can’t afford either one. I’m the only thing standing between my little sister and the foster care system. He may have money and charm on his side, but I have something even more powerful -- pure desperation. This temp job at his mother’s company can become a full time job for me. It has to.

But when Callan’s eyes rake over my body, sometimes I forget my obligations. His piercing gaze finds the fun, optimistic girl I used to be and not the tired person I’ve become.

And it works--if only for a moment. Our night together was a mistake. I can't afford to get sucked into his high-powered family’s treachery. But the closer I get to Callan, the more layers I find beneath those expensive clothes. Though I can’t forget this is temporary. He’s temporary. I have too much to lose.

Too bad my foolish heart didn’t get the memo
 



Over the last year, I have fallen in love with Sarina Bowen's contemporary romances. I have never read anything by Sarah Mayberry before, but I was excited to see what these two authors could come up with together!

Grace has tried her best to provide for her teenage little sister ever since they finally decided to leave their mom. So when a temp job opens up working for a great company, Grace can't help but hope it will turn into a permanent position. Grace is put in charge of a huge project clearing out the home of the company's owner's deceased brother and she knows this is her time to prove her worth. But the moment Callan Walker walks through the door, Grace knows he's trouble. The Australian playboy was devastated to learn of his Uncle's death, the only member of his family who showed him real love, and he'll do anything save his legacy. But the more time Callan spends with Grace, the more he realizes he can't ruin her life while trying to save his Uncle's life work. Grace knows her job's important, but can she resist Callan before the job is over? 

When I started this one, I really appreciated Grace's character and how she was a twenty-something who had to raise her teenage sister. Grace sacrificed so much for her sister and she really was desperate to keep her job. The moment Callan walked into her life, though, Grace was tested again and again in order to keep her job. While I did like their chemistry, I felt like once they got together, that's really all we got from them and I wasn't as connected with them both individually as I wanted to be. I don't know what it was, but nothing about this book made me dying to keep on reading. I just felt "meh" about the whole story. 

While I liked Callan's character, I thought his family situation was a bit cliched and like something I had read about before. His mom's character was so over the top and I felt like I've read about the icy, back-stabbing mother who doesn't care about her playboy son. And the reason Callan couldn't find the thing he had been looking for for so long wasn't that exciting or realistic to me. I don't know, I just felt underwhelmed after reading this one. 

Temporary was a nice, sweet read that was enjoyable enough to read. While it wasn't amazing, it was still a cute romance between two very different people.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...