Thursday, September 21, 2017

Book Review: Dark Lover by JR Ward

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1)
by JR Ward
Release Date: September 6, 2005
Source: Own Copy
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.
 





I know, I know. How am I now just reading Dark Lover? This series has been on my TBR for YEARS and I finally had the desire to pick it up and read it. The funny thing is, I was reading this book at a book signing and people who saw me reading in line told me how amazing this series is. Yeah, yeah, I know! EVERYONE has been telling me I have to read this series because of how amazing it is. All I can say is it's about time I finally read it! 

Being a vampire is dangerous business, especially with people running around trying to kill them. As the last pure-bread vampire, Wrath takes his position as the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood very seriously. His brothers are his family and they will do anything to protect one another and their race. When Wrath learns of a woman who is half human, half vampire and is going to change soon, he knows its his responsibility to help her through the transition. The last thing he expects, though, is to feel an almost violent attraction for her. Can Wrath bring her into his world while trying to fight the people who took his own parents from him? 

I have to say, this is a loooong book considering how not too much actually happens. While I did feel like some things dragged, once I got to about the halfway point when Beth was brought into the vampire world, things started moving. I really enjoyed how unique this vampire world was and how the vampires were in danger of being killed by their enemies. While there were tons of side characters that were a little hard to keep track of sometimes, I found myself getting excited by the idea that they would get their own romances and their own stories. 

While this was a pretty entertaining first book to a long series, I get the feeling that this was just introducing me into this world and to these characters and I will be much more into the next books in the series. I love these characters and the politics of this world and cannot wait to get to book two!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...