Friday, May 30, 2014

Follow My Book Blog Friday (138)


This is a meme hosted every Friday by Parajunkee, where book bloggers answer a question each week and check out how others answered it. It's a cool way for bloggers and viewers to connect and learn more about each other!

Question: How important is good writing to you? 

Answer: Oh, wow. I have very strong feelings about this topic. Seriously, just ask my family. If I read a book with any grammar mistakes or horrible writing, I rant to no end to anyone who will listen. Honestly, if you want to be a writer and publish your book, there really shouldn't be a ton of mistakes. One or two I can understand, but when it gets to too many, I get to the point where I'm like


That's why I've become very wary of reading anything that's independently published. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for all writers and have read some fantastic indie books, but I've had to many experiences where I've read a book by an indie author where there were at least five mistakes per page. After the first chapter, I had no idea how I could make it through the book, no matter how good the story is. 

Now, going past grammar mistake and onto writing in general, I need good writing. When I read Fifty Shades of Gray, her writing made me want to bang my head against the wall…


How many more times could Ana bite her lip or talk about her inner goddess? I mean, come on. Give us some variety! And that book was a bestseller!? I guess some people are okay with bad writing and a good story (though I do have to disagree with the "good story" part…really? Fifty ShadesI? I just think people were too excited to finally read erotica in public and the book just happened to be out in the right place and the right time..but that argument is for another time). I, however, can only enjoy a story when the writing is good. The story can be predictable, cliche, and cheesy, but I will still love it if the writing really pulls me into the story and is enjoyable. 

Long answer short, good writing is a must for me. 

5 comments:

  1. Heehee! Nice points! I find myself being the opposite though. I gotta like the characters, plot, storyline and all those other elements that make up the story! Those parts have to make me care about them or else I won't bother. The book can be so beautifully written, but if it's got lousy characters and plot I won't get past reading the cover back!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loool @reading in public. True. I actually purchased that book. Was too weirded out to borrow it from the library, lol.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those GIFs made me laugh. Bad writing also gets me frustrated but what gets me more frustrated are bad characters and plot.

    New follower here!
    Vanessa @ Bluest Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gifs really are funny.

    Nice view about Fifty Shades. The first book was promising though I have to agree about Ana's mannerisms. Furthermore, I hate Ana being so insecure with herself. I love female protagonists who kick ass. Anyway the sequels just suck. When BDSM is concerned, I'd recommend Anne Rice's The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty.

    New twitter follower. Follow me back via my ff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good answer to a hard question. I'm an existing follower.
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...